Cheese and Sausage Balls
Cheese is traditional in a Pascha basket. So is pork sausage. Cheese and sausage balls are my traditional (and delicious!) way of combining the two!
1 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 pound hot pork sausage
1 pound Bisquick baking mix
- Mix the three ingredients thoroughly. You can do this by hand, or by using a stand mixer with a dough hook.
If you use a mixer, you may need to divide the ingredients in half and mix it half at a time.
- Shape the dough into small balls, using about 1 tablespoon of dough for each ball.
- Place the balls about 2 inches apart on an insulated baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
If you use a regular baking sheet instead of an insulated baking sheet, keep a careful eye on them while they bake so that the bottom doesn’t scorch before the top is done.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown. Cool on a rack.
You can mix and shape the cheese and sausage balls up to two weeks in advance and freeze them for easy cooking on Pascha. When baking from frozen, drop the temperature to 350F. They’ll take just a bit longer to bake, but they’ll be just as good.
You can easily make smaller or larger batches. Just use equal amounts by weight of the three ingredients.