Peeps in Marshmallow Nests
Nearly all marshmallows and food dyes are gluten free. Peeps and Jelly Belly brand jelly beans are usually gluten free. Check labels carefully to be sure. For more information about holiday treats for children with dietary restrictions, see our tips for gluten-free Pascha treats.
If you don’t need your Pascha treats to be dairy-free, feel free to use butter instead of margarine when you make the marshmallow nests.
1/4 c dairy-free margarine
4 c miniature marshmallows
Green food coloring (optional)
5 c gluten-free Rice Krispies
Green decorating sugar (optional)
- Grease two muffin pans. If you use silicone muffin pans, you don’t need to grease them.
- In a large pan, melt the margarine slowly over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until they’re completely melted. Don’t try to hurry this part. Take your time.
- Optional: When the marshmallow and margarine mixture is completely smooth, stir in green food coloring. Mix well.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cereal.
- Scoop the warm cereal mixture into the muffin pans. Push the cereal firmly against the bottom and sides of the cups, forming a nest shape. This is easiest to do if you put on some food-handlers gloves and use your hands. The back of a greased spoon works, too.
- Optional: Sprinkle each nest with green sugar, to give it a little bit of sparkle.
- Let the nests cool completely, then remove them from the tins.
- Add a few jelly beans to each nest, and place a Peep on top.
Makes 24. Peeps in marshmallow nests are adorable, delicious, and fun!